“Remembering you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.” -Steve Jobs
Death is inevitable so why not do the things you ever wanted to do. Instead of wasting the final years meditating, sitting idle, or wishing for something, why not get involved in some activities.
1. Travel some of the best destinations in the World. If possible, travel across the world, especially the 7 wonders of the world – The beautifully restored stepped pyramids of Chichen Itza in Mexico; the World’s largest Art Deco statue of Jesus Christ Christ Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; the largest man-made colossal construction and monument Great Wall of China that is the only man made construction visible from space; the archeological and cultural treasures Machu Picchu in the Cusco Region of Peru;
a gigantic and distinct city carved into the sheer rock face named Petra in Jordan; the most impressive building of the Roman empire that is known as the Flavian Amphitheater ‘Roman Colosseum’; the immense mausoleum and India’s most famous landmark the Taj Mahal. Share these wonderful experiences with others and it will surely make you feel enlightened.
2. Attend the Olympics. Attend one of the largest events on earth and meet some of the world’s greatest athletes. Watch them perform and cheer for their Athletic accomplishments. It will be one of the best experiences you would love to cherish all your life.
3. Spend some nights at a historic hotel. Modern hotels might be equipped with some of the best luxurious amenities but to explore a rare adventure, mesmerizing memories of ancient world, authentic discovery of historical significance, exclusive beauty of classic nights, spending nights at a historic hotel is recommended.
4. Motivate people. For motivating people, one does not necessarily need to be a motivational trainer, professional or a life couch. Share some stories that have significantly impacted your life or the events that took place in your friend’s or somebody else’s life that has truly inspired you for a change in your life. You can even share the book that has initiated you to be yourself with some moderate changes. The satisfaction that comes out of helping people and uplifting their lives is a treasure worth finding.
5. If possible, join one of the biggest festivals of different countries across the world. Festivals represent the complete image of a country by showcasing its traditional and cultural elements. They have religious, social, political, economical cultural and moral importance. Attending them might not be full of memorable experiences but would certainly be an asset to store and memorize as an intellectual and meaningful time pass.
6. Spare some precious days from your modern and luxurious life to get intimate with nature.
Spend some days exclusively with nature. Enjoy the glorious greeting that sunshine offers to the mountain and feel the fresh winds that breeze through trees. Listen to the birds singing in the trees, witness the quite beauty of the sunset, smell the fragrance of flowers in garden, feel the ecstasy on lonely seashores, walk in the pathless woods where no one intrudes, watch the deep-blue sea for hours, and feel the music in its roar. You will experience that the whole existence of the intricate nature is a wonder, a divine creation.
7. Climb one of the world’s Seven Summits of your choice. Climb Mountain to discover the mystery that lies between the climbing from the bottom to the top of the summit. Explore your feeling of standing atop; experience the pleasure of taking the risk, and feel the courage of getting the task done. Feel proud not because you have taken the risk and faced them successfully but for adding a greater degree of value to your life and stealing the blissful moments for the monotonous and materialistic existence in the modern time.
8. Make a family asset. It may be a book or a diary with some wise messages worth carrying on for the next generations. It not only adds the significance of your existence but stays something as a source of some priceless life lessons for your family. Make it as an example to give something valuable to your family that world respects.
9. Plant a family tree and nourish it and it will let you feel all the pleasures of the world. One day you will feel that planting a family tree was the wisest investment you have ever made.
“A man doesn’t plant a tree for himself. He plants it for posterity.” Alexander Smith
10. Try to meet the person who has been a pioneering figure of bringing some impactful and crucial change in your country. You will feel yourself to be the luckiest one in front of him or her.
11. Lear Surfing or kayaking. It isn’t just about surfing or kayaking but also about connecting yourself with natural world. Catching waves, reaching the deepest of a river or a lake, and getting intimate with nature, you won’t regret your decision. Moreover, balance and patience are very significant factors that one learns while surfing and kayaking.
12. Visit the mouth (the source of origin) of the world’s greatest and significant rivers for example, Ganges, Nile, Amazon, Mississippi, Brahmaputra, Parana and many more. You will know all these greatest and powerful rivers have most humble beginnings.
13. Make a pilgrimage. A Pilgrimage has moral and spiritual significance. Apparently, such places seem to be of traditional significance but the experiences you accumulate can’t be quantified into words. They can change your whole outlook about life. Spiritual destinations for Hindus includes Varanasi, Ancient Haridwar, Amarnath; Jerusalem and Rome for Christians; and Mecca for Muslims. Prehistoric rituals includes Stonehenge or Machu Picchu; nature-worshiping includes Himalaya, Sundarban, an African savanna or Amazonian rain forest.
14. Attend mass Hindu pilgrimage, the Kumbh Mela where devotees gather and take a dip in Ganges for soul purification and enlightenment. It takes place every year but the Mahakumbha takes place once in every twelve years at four places Haridwar, Allahabad, Ujjain, and Nashik.
15. Scuba diving is one of the world’s greatest recreational activities. You can think of exploring the ‘The Great Barrier Reef’. It is the world’s biggest reef that consists of 880 islands, approximately 3000 individual reefs, and hundreds and thousands of various kinds of sea plants, birds and aquatic creatures. Have a mesmerizing diving experience with the schools of bright and colorful fish and watch the amazing colors of the coral – an unforgettable life experience.
16. Do photography. Do it for your own pleasure. Click the smiling faces of kids, birds, insects, the neglected things, fleeting moments of life, something interesting at an ordinary place or beautiful secrets of nature- keep these photographs for yourself to have a closer look at your spare time.
Written by: Mousumi Kumar Saha